Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: rpost <rpost_at_pcwin518.campus.tue.nl>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:42:38 +0100

David BL wrote:

>> >I agree. Yes, same values but different data
>>
>> I disagree! Same data, different information.
>
>Are you suggesting data is synonymous with value(s)?

I only skimmed the preceding discussion, so I'm not quite sure what "value" stands for exactly, but to me, data is the literal content of communication, prior to interpretation. But this isn't completely watertight: the recognition of data requires intepretation, e.g. before we can recognize a 2, 3, whitespace, 4, 1 and we'll need to interpret the line drawing on the paper, The result Still I call the resulting string of characters "data", because it is subject to another round of interpretation, which produces a list of natural numbers. This list is data again, being interpreted further, as lottery numbers or experimental results or who knows what else. If all is well, at some level the results will give the receiver information , e.g. inform her whether or not she won the lottery.

--
Reinier