Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:00:23 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 18, 2:54 pm, "Brian Selzer" <br..._at_selzer-software.com> wrote:
> "JOG" <j..._at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote in message

> > On Feb 15, 2:31 am, David BL <davi..._at_iinet.net.au> wrote:
> >> On Feb 14, 10:38 pm, JOG <j..._at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote:
> >> [snip]

> >> I agree. Yes, same values but different data

> >> They are the same values and they are encoded in the same manner.
> >> However they are distinct appearances, hence distinct data.
>
> > Ok, so we're agreed at least there. Same values with the same
> > encoding. Yet the first datum is different to the second. The logic
> > below therefore follows:
>
> > 1) The two items of data discussed have the same values and same
> > encoding.
>
> Yes.

Hey Brian. That's good - at least there is consensus there.

> > 2) The two items of data can obviously be distinguished (we are agreed
> > they are not the same data).
>
> No. They are the same data.

Ok, that I personally find a strange use of the term. You seem to be saying that:

P(a, b)
Q(a, b)

is the same data? To me that looks like the first line is a different datum to the second, even though they share the same values. Definitely not in your opinion?

> > 3) Therefore a datum must possess some attribute outside of its values
> > and encoding.
>
> Yes, but not what you think: A fact is supposed to be true.
>
> Each appearance of a value in a proposition that is supposed to be true is
> data, but each appearance in the same proposition is the same data.
> But isn't it also true that at least some combinations of values, such as those
> combinations of values that appear in a tuple, may also be data?
>
> Let me try to be absolutely clear here:
>
> Let a and b be constant symbols;
> Let x and y be free variables;
> Let P and Q be predicate symbols.
>
> Then if Pxy is a predicate with two free variables that range over the same
> domain, then Pab is a literal that can appear in the extension of Pxy by
> substituting the constant a for every appearance of the free variable x in P
> and the constant b for every appearance of y.
>
> Let's let constant symbols also be literals.
>
> So b is a literal; Pab is a literal; Pbb is a literal; and so on.
>
> A literal that is supposed to be true is an atomic fact.
>
> Assuming that Pab is supposed to be true, then b indicates that the
> individual that b maps to exists, a indicates that the individual that a
> maps to exists, and Pab indicates that both a and b participate in the
> relationship P. Pab depends upon a and b, but Paa could also be true, and
> so could Pbb, and so could Qab; so it is safe to say that the literals Pab,
> Pbb and Qab would only indirectly indicate that the individual that b maps
> to exists, although each would convey a distinct atomic fact concerning that
> individual.

Ok, riding with it for a moment, If I follow correctly, you are saying that, P(a,b) -> Exists(a) & Exists(b). That certainly seems entirely sensible.

> Now if Pab appears in a proposition that is not supposed to be true, then it
> cannot be determined whether b maps to an individual that exists or that a
> maps to an individual that exists. It may be that they do, but that they
> just don't participate in the relationship, P, or for that matter, it may be
> that the literal Pab also appears in a proposition that is supposed to be
> true.

Yes, in the case ¬P(a,b) no conclusions can be made concerning the existence or non-existence of a and b. That too seems sensible.

> Whether a literal is supposed to be true depends upon whether the
> proposition it appears in is supposed to be true. So just the appearance of
> a value--even in context--isn't necessarily data. The appearance of a value
> in a context that is supposed to be true is data.

Are you proposing then that if ¬P(a, b), then a and b are not data at all?

A concern that jumps into my mind generally about all this (in terms of defining 'data') is that yours a's and b's are individuals, not values. I would never consider individuals (people for example) to be data. But I would consider statements about those individuals to be data. All best, J.