Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 23:08:48 +0100

JOG wrote:
> Bob Badour wrote:

>> JOG wrote:
>>> I think you misunderstand me. I am saying that the observations
>>> Galileo took down in his logbook /was/ data. It never went near
>>> machine processing (certainly not in his lifetime), but it was still
>>> data.
>> I have to ask: Why do you think it is data? Are you not applying the
>> colloquial definition which is a synonym for information?

> I certainly hope not bob. I'm certainly trying to be very formal about
> it (in the spirit of Codd and Dijkstra), because I think if computer
> science ever wants to be taken seriously as a science we really have
> to be able to properly define what our central concepts - physics has
> particles and waves, whereas we have entities and data. Its harder for
> us of course, because unlike hard sciences, we are engulfed by a
> handwavy, buzzword obsessed IT industry.

Like 'information base' for what we now call database - which would be one of the consequences of Bob's stance.

When I read them, my impression was that parts of the ISO standardized vocabularies are a good example of premature standardization. To illustrate: In the 60's Sovjet Union semi-conductor components got standardized. A Russian electronic engineer told me it effectively blocked the emergence of something like Silicon Valley.

Just anekdote, but telling. Received on Sat Feb 16 2008 - 23:08:48 CET

Original text of this message