Re: what are keys and surrogates?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 19:30:15 -0400

Gene Wirchenko wrote:

> rpost_at_pcwin518.campus.tue.nl (rpost) wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>>Let's consider a minimal genealogy database: every person has a father,
>>a mother, and a name, but no other attributes.  Using oids we can express
>>this directly as a Person relation with attributes PersonID, FatherID,
>>MotherID, and Name.  You and JOG are expected to complain that name

> One might not have traced ones ancestry back that far. Say you
> have gotten ten generations back. How do you record great-to-the-8th
> grandparents? You do not have data on your great-to-the-9th
> grandparents yet and so do not have FatherIDs and MotherIDs for your
> great-to-the-8th grandparents.

What happens when you learn more about your great-to-the-9th grandparents and you fill out more and more information, and then it turns out one of them is the same individual as one of your previously known great-to-the-7th grandparents?

How exactly does OID help in that situation? Received on Thu Feb 14 2008 - 00:30:15 CET

Original text of this message