Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 20:49:28 -0600

On 2008-02-11 12:44:28 -0600, topmind <topmind_at_technologist.com> said:

> A bigger issue is how to manage "variations on a theme". OOP tends to
> use polymorphism and object pointers, while a data-centric approach
> tends to use set theory and attributes (meta data). I much prefer the
> second. I won't claim it objectively better, but to my mind it is a
> lot nicer, more flexible, and easier to report/study/sift via query
> and table browsers.

I won't disagree with any of that. I will say, however, that I can manage the dependencies between source code modules with OO, and I can't with data. There are other dependencies I can manage with data, that I can't with OO. Both are useful. Neither is better than the other. They are orthogonal and complementary.

--
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com