Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 13:40:31 -0400

David Cressey wrote:

> "Robert Martin" <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com> wrote in message
>

>>On 2008-02-07 14:35:26 -0600, Victor Porton <porton_at_narod.ru> said:
>>
>>>I know both object oriented programming and DB (SQL). But it seems
>>>that these are incompatible. Or may somebody advice how to meddle them
>>>together?
>>
>>The concepts are orthogonal. Objects are not tables. Tables are not
>>objects. The many efforts to try to force tables and objects together
>>always cause trouble. Things work better when you recognize the
>>benefits of tables, and the benefits of objects, and use each where
>>they belong rather than try to force one to use the other.
>>
>>Tables expose data and have no behavior. Objects hide data and expose
>>behavior.
>
> I have a different understanding.
>
> Objects do not always hide data.

First, define what you mean by "object"? Object class? Object instance? Object value?

Object classes are data types. Object instances are data variables. Object values are data values.

In general, objects are data.

[message/method gobbledygook snipped] Received on Tue Feb 12 2008 - 18:40:31 CET

Original text of this message