Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: topmind <topmind_at_technologist.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 13:38:08 -0800 (PST)

David Cressey wrote:
> "Robert Martin" <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com> wrote in message
> > On 2008-02-08 11:17:54 -0600, Jan Hidders <hidders_at_gmail.com> said:
> >
> > > They asked Bjarne Stroustrup? Why??
> > >
> > > "I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not
> > > have C++ in mind."
> > > - Alan Kay
> >
> > I don't wish to minimize the contribution that Kay made. It has been
> > enormous. The undercurrents he started with Smalltalk continue to
> > pervade our industry, subsuming it from the bottom up. Revolutions in
> > our thought such as Design Patterns, Agile Development, Test Driven
> > Development, etc, etc, can all be traced to the Smalltalk community.
> >
> > Having said that, Kay did not invent OO. He may have coined the term,
> > but the concepts were invented years before by Ole Johan Dahl, and
> > Kristian Nygaard in the language Simula-67. (When they moved the
> > calling frame from the stack to the heap.)

A bit backtracking here, but if he coined the term, then wouldn't that mean that he gets to define what is and isn't "OOP"? Even though *some* features (at least) of OO were in earlier languages, that does not mean the *entire* earlier language was OO. In other words, he gets to decide what belongs to "OO" and what doesn't, in this view.

Unless, one argues that "common usage" trumps Kay, which is a legitimate claim. But either way, Simula is not really the key factor.

> > Now it happens that both Kay and Stroustrup were influenced by Simula.

> As I said some ways back in this topic, OO had its origins in simulation.
> Thank you for making the heritage more explicit.

-T- Received on Mon Feb 11 2008 - 22:38:08 CET

Original text of this message