Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:08:14 -0600

On 2008-02-09 23:58:27 -0600, topmind <topmind_at_technologist.com> said:

> But OOP and relational often don't compliment each other, but instead
> fight over territory. Unless clear and logical rules form that tell us
> when to stop one and start the other, this problem is not small.

ANOTHER INTELLIGENT POINT BY BRYCE! That's two in one day!

I agree, there is conflict at the borders.

Do we create a stored procedure to calculate the pay of the employee? Or should we query for the data and write a suite of algorithms in Java?

Which you choose depends on a whole suite of factors.

  • How much will the business rules change?
  • Do the business rules need to be independently deployed?
  • How complex are the business rules?
  • What kind of throughput are we going to need?
  • Is the operation atomic?

etc. etc.

--
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com