Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:45:04 -0600

On 2008-02-10 12:29:58 -0600, JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk> said:

> My concern for OO is not that its mechanisms are
> not useful, but that it gives objects primacy before data, instead of
> the other way around as per the definition of the term.

OO gives *behavior* primacy over data. To say that a different way, OO source code is organized around it's behavior, not around the data manipulated by those behaviors.

An object is not a container of data. An object profers behavior. Any data necessary to achieve that behavior is kept hidden.

--
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com