Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 10:29:58 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 10, 5:45 pm, "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mail..._at_dmitry-kazakov.de> wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 16:52:00 +0100, mAsterdam wrote:
> > In your extension, you appear to map your slaves to data.
> > Slaves behave, objects do. Data doesn't.
>
> If data did not behave how would it be possible to use data?
>
> [What is data, in your opinion?

Data. Lots of datum - from latin, meaning statement of fact. Predicate and value in FOL. A value without description is of course just noise.

> On my side: data are values semantically bound

"Semantically bound"? yuck, I think you need to break that down to brass tacks.

> to some entities from the problem space. (The type of values describes the behavior of data.)]

Entities feature in or are extracted from data, not the other way around. Data is certainly not "bound to" entities, which is hand wavy terminology at best. My concern for OO is not that its mechanisms are not useful, but that it gives objects primacy before data, instead of the other way around as per the definition of the term.

Entities don't store data. Rather, observed data allows us to formulate entities.