Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Dmitry A. Kazakov <mailbox_at_dmitry-kazakov.de>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 18:45:43 +0100

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 16:52:00 +0100, mAsterdam wrote:

> In your extension, you appear to map your slaves to data.
> Slaves behave, objects do. Data doesn't.

If data did not behave how would it be possible to use data?

[What is data, in your opinion? On my side: data are values semantically bound to some entities from the problem space. (The type of values describes the behavior of data.)]

>> Yes, because the common ground is not understood and not even articulated.

> All ground is common. This, like Patrick May's stance,
> invalidates the OP's question.

Yes.

>> When in a subthread Patrick May wrote about the goals of software design
>> (quality), you disagreed.

> That is not what I disagreed with.

So you agree that software design could be such a ground?

>> In your metaphor, he just said that a ship should
>> float. You replied that it is not about ships.

> Maybe you just misread it, maybe I said something in an unclear way.
> Please quote the passage you are hinting at.

"That is stricly one side of the fence - it is the goal for a software development process. The goal for a DB is to serve as a vehicle to manage data."

If the ultimate goal is same, then managing the thing called data is mere one possible thread of the process.

> Please describe the fence as seen from your side.

In short and technically, it is refusal to view tables as typed values.

> I see the same DB/DBMS conflation as Patrick made.
> I asked Patrick, and I'm asking you:
> Do you need that?

Yes, I do, especially when talking about a common ground.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov