Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 01:07:00 +0100

Daniel T. wrote:
> mAsterdam wrote:

<unsnip>

>> Leslie Sanford wrote:
>> Newsgroups: comp.object, comp.databases.theory
>>
>> I cringe every time I see a thread crossposted to these two groups.
>> Good seldomn comes of it.

</unsnip>
> Any ideas except 'the other guys are so stupid'?

[snip]
> Since "mAsterdam" brought up the ship metaphor... Imagine two companies,
> one makes engines, while the other makes whole boats (engine included.)
> Even if the first company's engines are superior to the engines made by
> the second company, is it really fair to compare which of the companies'
> products are the best for going out to sea? I think not.

Metaphores only... etc. We have to constantly check wether the nuance of a metaphore is still relevant to the topic. In this case, I think it is. I am not asking to compare products. I am wondering why problems, which are dealt with in practise every day, are not dealt with in theory.

> and cons of both theories, I can't say much because I only know one side
> of the argument. But I will be following the thread in the hopes of
> learning something.

While I would not mind such a discussion in a specific setting, it is not what I am asking for. If it is just a matter of pros and cons in general, let's just pick the best and get on. OO and DB serve different purposes.
The balance should be situational.

--
What you see depends on where you stand.