Re: Normalizing Tree Data

From: TroyK <cs_troyk_at_juno.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 09:42:50 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 8, 10:10 am, cr113 <cr..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> What's the simplest way to set up a relationional database with tree
> data? I'm more interested in simplicity vs speed.

<snip - see OP>

> Any help would be appreciated!

You're on the right track in realizing that you have a tradeoff to make (simplicity vs. speed). However, there are a number of other design considerations that will also inform the final product.

What are your needs in terms of flexibility, for instance? Is it the case that the specific "hierarchy" you've outlined is the only one you need to support?

Re: other design considerations, Graeme Simsion has what I consider to be a good article here:
http://www.tdan.com/view-articles/5100

People will be able to guide you better if you can expand more on what criteria are important to you.

TroyK Received on Fri Feb 08 2008 - 18:42:50 CET

Original text of this message