Re: Separate PK in Jxn Tbl?

From: Tony Toews [MVP] <ttoews_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 05:20:27 GMT

-CELKO- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

>It is a good classic screw up, with blame for everyone!
>
>1) ACCESS programmer builds desktop app on his own that looks good for
>his immediate needs.
>2) Management sees the app and wants to deploy it all over the
>company. Hey, why design anything new when we have it already?
>3) ACCESS programmer claims it will deploy and and management believes
>him.
>4) It does not scale, it does not interface with mainframe apps,
>external apps, etc. It has no documentation, etc.
>5) ACCESS programmer now has a career being the only guy who can keep
>the sinking boat up. Never mind how many times a week it has to be re-
>booted or how much data is lost.
>6) Neither the programmer nor management will scream for help and ask
>for a budget. Management would look stupid; programmer would lose his
>job and power

That sounds quite typical for some Access applications. But consider just where was IT in all this? D*cking around on their Oracle database that will save the company. Or this app didn't fit in the IT priorities. We'll create this fabulous system. Uhh, when? Sometime this century.

It's better than Excel. Although not by much in such incapable hands as you describe. And that I've seen myself in the past.

Tony

--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.