Re: Separate PK in Jxn Tbl?

From: Salad <oil_at_vinegar.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 09:58:14 -0800

Bob Badour wrote:
> Salad wrote:

>>> Shouldn't a database be designed right from the beginning?
>>>
>> I prefer KISS.

> Well, the second S is right.

Yes. That adequately describes you.

>> Thus I prefer an autonumber.

> So, adding a useless third column makes it simpler?!?

Yes.

>> Then again, junction tables are rarely needed.

> That's a remarkable statement requiring extraordinary evidence. What
> evidence do you have to support such an assertion?

Years ago, in the Access Developers Guide, one of the authors mentioned there wasn't much of a need for them as you could get the data thru other means and I agreed with the person back then and hold that opinion today. He did go and show examples of using them but the topic was not one of major importance. By and large, based on my experience, they are rarely needed.

I don't know if you develop database systems. From what I've read in your responses to others, you come off more as a blowhard than a developer creating a useful product. Received on Thu Jan 31 2008 - 18:58:14 CET

Original text of this message