Re: what are keys and surrogates?

From: Keith H Duggar <duggar_at_alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 19:14:54 -0800 (PST)

David BL wrote:
> Bob Badour wrote:
> > I repeat: Why do you think representations are limited
> > to representing to users?
>
> It seems Badour assumed "possible representations" meant
> physical and logical representations whereas Jan assumed
> it was only logical representations.

I am quite certain that Badour assumed that in this thread "possible representation" mean exactly Date's concept from for example Tutorial D of POSSREP. The problem is that you utterly ignorant of the POSSREP concept.

Do you know who C. J. Date is? Have you studied any of his work? Have you even heard of Tutorial D? Why don't you run away somewhere, learn what a POSSREP is, come back, reread your posts, and realize how ignorant they are.

As for Jan, I would have thought he was familiar with the POSSREP concept so I'm not sure why he and Bob are talking past each other so obviously.

> > Jan simply constructed a straw man to burn, and Badour
> > obligingly pointed out the deficit of his sophistry.
>
> This discussion is bordering on meaningless because of
> poorly defined terms.

The terms are well defined, you are just totally ignorant of their definitions. As for Jan, I do not know where his confusion is coming from. I'm certain he is familiar with Date but perhaps not POSSREP. Jan, are you familiar with Date's POSSREP concept? Did you know that was subject of this discussion since it began with Marshall's question? Maybe this will refresh your memory:

Marshall wrote:
> Bob Badour wrote:
> > Marshall wrote:
> > > I have no strong feelings about encapsulated ADTs;
> > > what Date calls ... uh. Shit. I can't remember what
> > > he calls them. I don't entirely see the reason for
> > > them. Performance I guess?
>
> > Types? Possible representations? Type generators? Only
> > the first is an ADT, but I am curious whether you meant
> > one of the others.
>
> Possreps! That's the one!

KHD.F6 Received on Wed Jan 30 2008 - 04:14:54 CET

Original text of this message