Re: Separate PK in Jxn Tbl?

From: Sylvain Lafontaine <"Sylvain>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 15:37:18 -0500

I was making a direct reference to the following quote:

> In a recent thread on this subject, Tony Toews Access MVP qualified
> that he liked using incremental autonumbers (rather than random)
> because they where easier to type (WHERE ID = -2001736589 may
> encourage typos) and easier to drop into conversation ("Hello Tony?
> I'm seeing a problem with the record where the ID is -2001736589...").

Of course, theoritically and in a world with unlimited budget, you're right in the sense that a surrogate key should never cross the boundaries of a database (the interface beeing located inside in these boundaries) but my clients don't have infinite budget and my brain isn't infinite either.

--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC