Re: Separate PK in Jxn Tbl?

From: Sylvain Lafontaine <"Sylvain>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 15:31:37 -0500

> You misunderstand my point. A great many people use surrogate keys as if
> they were surrogate addresses. They then use foreign keys that reference
> surrogate keys as if they were surrogate pointers.

Not sure to fully understand you on this sentence. However, if you mean by that that a surrogate key should never cross the boundaries of a database - with the inclusion of the interface as part of the database - then yes, theoritically you're right but practically - ie. in the real world with real budget - it's not necessary wrong to do it.

Some people consider databases as some kind of Gods and you shouldn't ask what the database can do for you but what you can do for the database. Personnally, I've never made a sacrifice - either monetary, animal, human or other - in the name of a database and all I'm asking of a database is what it can do for the client; never the other way.

However, like everything else, you must think about it and everytime you see a situation where a surrogate key is getting out of the database, there is a potential problem to look at.

--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC