Re: Separate PK in Jxn Tbl?

From: David Cressey <>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:56:25 GMT

"Jamie Collins" <> wrote in message
> On Jan 29, 12:52 pm, "David Cressey" <> wrote:
> > I'm completely unfamiliar with the UK usage of "moot". What is it?
> Obviously I can't speak for the whole of the UK but I would say it was
> the literal, dictionary meaning i.e. 'debatable' rather than 'not
> worth debating'.

OK, I've learned something here.

From the American Heritage Dictionary:

moot adj. 1. Subject to debate; arguable. 2.a. Law. Without legal significance, through having been previously decided or settled. b. Of no practical importance; irrelevant.

I have always used this word, as an adjective, in the sense of 2b. above. A moot point, as I've used it, is one that could be decided either way without affecting the course of the larger debate. I now see that that's not strictly what the word means. Received on Tue Jan 29 2008 - 15:56:25 CET

Original text of this message