Re: Separate PK in Jxn Tbl?

From: Frank Hamersley <>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 12:32:05 GMT

Keith Wilby wrote:
> "David W. Fenton" <> wrote in message

>> If your impression of Access comes from futzing with it for 10
>> minutes and from encountering kludged-together apps created by your
>> company receptionist, then you just haven't a clue what Access
>> offers, either as an application development platform or as a data
>> store (using its native Jet engine).

True - but N/A to moi!

> I frequently have Oracle die-hards tell me (and more worryingly,
> management)
> that Access is a toy that will fall over when more than a couple of users
> log on. I have yet to have any of them rise to the challenge of siting a
> single example of a correctly set up, split application in Access that
> isn't
> stable under load. Mine are certainly stable and reliable, the only
> problematic ones are set up by dabblers.

Therein lies its criminality <g> - it screams encouragement for dabblers and barely offers anything for artisans except stupendous numbers of mouse clicks!

Take for instance the number of versions it took before separating the data from the "code" was a core feature by way of the provision of a menu option to reattach a data .mdb!

> None of the aforementioned
> die-hards even know what a split Access application is.

Cheers, Frank. Received on Tue Jan 29 2008 - 13:32:05 CET

Original text of this message