Re: Separate PK in Jxn Tbl?

From: David W. Fenton <XXXusenet_at_dfenton.com.invalid>
Date: 28 Jan 2008 23:35:51 GMT

JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote in
news:aedc71b3-81f2-4b22-9aed-fa3e3cbb7746_at_u10g2000prn.googlegroups.co m:

> On Jan 27, 8:33 pm, "David W. Fenton"
> <XXXuse..._at_dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:

>> JOG <j..._at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote
>> innews:c4699a61-e76f-4ff3-aa25-310929b6ecc0_at_e10g2000prf.googlegrou
>> ps.co m:
>>
>> > I certainly don't think developers should excuse sloppy RDBMS
>> > design just because they are using access (and of course I'm
>> > sure many of the professionals here wouldn't dream of doing so,
>> > despite others laxness).
>>
>> What *are* you talking about?
>>
>> Any mistakes in schema design that you can make in Access, you
>> can make in any other RDBMS.

> *Sigh*. Yes, but as bob has pointed out, you've misconstrued my
> point. Because it is marketed at different business problems (ones
> with few concurrent users, simple domains, comparatively smaller
> schema), a lot of Access users can get away with mistakes that
> someone using, say, Oracle 11g to keep track of millions of facts
> would in the end get called up on. So that's nothing to do with
> the technology, just the market, which makes your empassioned
> defence of the super-duper jetomatic engine a bit misplaced.

I'm not defending Jet here. I'm pointing out a logical error in your attributing to "Access" something that has nothing specifically to do with Access.

> I'll also ignore the diatribe that followed in light of your
> misunderstanding. (And the fact that you share my mother's maiden
> name, so may well be long distant family...).

I do not misunderstand. You clearly are not distinguishing a development platform (Access) from a database engine (Jet) and from the fact that the issue at hand is a schem design question, and has nothing whatsoever to do with Access, or with any particular database engine.

That you can't seem to keep this distinction straight in your posts shows one of two things:

  1. massive ignorance of the tools you are disparaging
  2. extremely bad writing skills.

Of maybe it's some of both.