Re: Separate PK in Jxn Tbl?

From: Tony Toews [MVP] <ttoews_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 18:41:36 GMT

Jamie Collins <jamiecollins_at_xsmail.com> wrote:

>On Jan 28, 3:38 am, "Tony Toews [MVP]" <tto..._at_telusplanet.net> wrote:
>> I'd very much like to see a business rules layer implemented that worked well within
>> Access. However I rather much doubt we'll ever see it given that Microsoft is
>> focusing their attentions on the office information worker rather than the developer.
>
>I saw your earlier post on this and wondered if you were being
>genuine. Now that I see you are...
>
>Seriously, have you tried doing this kind of thing in Visual Studio
>2005 i.e. using the .NET framework? I was helping a work colleague
>(non-dev) recently who was using the free version of VS to do a simple
>club subscriptions app, with data bound controls, navigation bar, etc
>i.e. at a glance very reminiscent of Access Forms (except the look and
>feel was much nicer <g>). I've also made initial investigations into
>third party frameworks (i.e. extending .NET framework) to bind
>business rules' logic to controls. If you believe that MS are not
>evolving Access in the developer's interests (and I think you may well
>be correct) and at the same time are making .NET Windows Forms
>development more accessible (pun intended), maybe it's time to re-
>evaluate your personal direction...

It's my understanding that the ease of use and speed of development of the latest .Net products is getting closer to that of Access. So I'm certainly keeping my eye on these.

Not convinced yet but then I haven't done next to no research in this area. Too busy. <smile>

Tony

--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.