Re: what are keys and surrogates?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 19:42:36 -0400

Jan Hidders wrote:

> On 19 jan, 02:48, David BL <davi..._at_iinet.net.au> wrote:

>>Badour seems hung up on this, but it seems reasonable to assume the
>>logical-physical distinction has very much to do with distinction
>>between representations that are visible or not visible to users, with
>>an appropriate definition of "user". Otherwise what is the logical-
>>physical distinction about?

Logical representations are representations to users. Physical representations are representations to the machine.

 From that, I conclude representations are not limited to representing to users.

I repeat: Why do you think representations are limited to representing to users?

>>>I don't see any need to respond to straw men beyond observing that they
>>>are straw men. So, you want to assume that "possible representations"
>>>relates exclusively to human users to what end? To prove your axiom?
>>>Your axiom is false in the first place.
>>
>>>Assuming it to prove it is mental masturbation. If you want to engage in
>>>such activities, please do so in private.
>>
>>Jan simply asked Badour to clarify what is meant by a representation
>>and Badour responds with the straw man defence.

Jan simply constructed a straw man to burn, and Badour obligingly pointed out the deficit of his sophistry.

>>Note this well!

Indeed. One would do very well to contemplate the point made.

>>>You are talking nonsense. One cannot increase or decrease the possible
>>>representations for a data type. What's possible is always possible and
>>>what's not is not.
>>
>>On its face that contradicts Badour's earlier statement where he talks
>>about doubling or tripling the number of possible representations.
>>
>>Perhaps he would say his previous statement concerned comparisons of
>>*different* data types;

Of course, it does. I thought that would go without saying. Apparently, I was wrong.

however it seems remarkable to claim that
>>unrelated data types would always exhibit such a similar ratio of
>>number of logical to physical representations.
>>
>>For a given data type the possible logical representations are *user
>>defined*,

Hell no! The possible representations are all possible regardless of declaration to the dbms. What the possrep concept does is provide a way to declare some subset of them to the dmbs.

  and therefore one can make sense of Jan's remark of
>>increasing or decreasing the possible
>>representations. There is no mathematically defined concept of an
>>absolute set of all possible logical representations. Evidently such
>>a set would be infinite. It comes down to human judgement as to which
>>ones are deemed useful. For example, representing the dimensions of a
>>rectangle using the quarter-width and the fifth root of the radius of
>>the circle of equal area is technically a possible logical
>>representation, but hardly practical.
>>
>>>It might give you new ideas, but does note create options that you

>>Exactly.
>>

>>>I have no idea where you get the idea that a data type with exactly two
>>>possible representations has exactly equal flexibility at the physical
>>>level as a data type with ten possible representations. The idea is
>>>absurd on its face.
>>
>>>I have no choice but to cite Date's _Principle of Incoherence_.
>>
>>"exactly equal flexibility" are strong words...
>>
>>I don't believe Jan stated nor implied that different data types have
>>the same number of physical representations.

Either he did exactly that, or he hallucinated some system whereby physical representation is not in any way connected to the values represented.

>>>And the more possible representations, the more options one has at the
>>>physical level. I don't know why you have such difficulty with such a
>>>simple concept.
>>
>>Shouldn't Badour merely say there will be some positive statistical
>>correlation?

Don't should on me.

>>Am I reading this right?

No, you are not.

Badour seems to assume that a given physical
>>representation coincides with (only) one of the logical
>>representations.

Hell no! Stick to what Badour actually says. If one has 6 physical ways of storing an arbitrary representation, presumably one has 6 physical ways of storing each possible representation. If I had meant to say the number of physical representations exactly equals the number of possreps that's exactly what I would have said, you fucking moron.

Instead, I said they grow linearly because that's what happens.

   Does he think there will actually be 36 distinct
>>physical representations?
>>
>>[snipped insults initiated by Badour]

> That seems to me like a pretty accurate analysis of the discussion so
> far.

Just because he kisses your ass doesn't make his analysis accurate. His analysis was fucking clueless and totally inaccurate.

So kudos for that. I actually don't have much to add to that, and