Re: Separate PK in Jxn Tbl?

From: Sylvain Lafontaine <"Sylvain>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 16:59:58 -0500

« But many of them seem to write as if contents as determined by address ».

The content is not determined by the address and in fact, for those who are using surrogate keys, the exact value of an address inside the database has zero importance. To me, a table is a collection of jars, each jar has a serial number and the information that must be stored into the database - the information for which the database has been create - is put inside these jars. Each jar has its own serial number; however, the exact value of this serial number has not importance at all in regard to what is put inside the jar and if copy the information from this database to another database, I don't care to see the information to be put back in a jar with the exact same serial number.

However, proponents of the use of natural keys insist to have a strong relationship between the serial number on the jar and what's in it. To me, such a relationship is pointless and I feel no necessity to use it.

--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC