Re: Separate PK in Jxn Tbl?

From: Rick Brandt <>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 14:18:16 GMT

David Cressey wrote:
> The idea of keeping garbage out of the database takes on an entirely
> different meaning if you are dealing with hundreds of programs
> written in COBOL, Java, or anything in between accessing a single
> Oracle database on the one hand. On the other hand, if you are a
> developer creating a self contained MS Access database cum
> application (tables, queries, forms, reports, modules, etc.) all in
> one file, the same issues arise, but they are resolved quite
> differently.
> I'm not saying either one is "right" or "wrong". I'm just suggesting
> why an objection that makes perfect sense to you and me might be lost
> on the MS Access community.

  some of

I think if a thorough poll was done it would show that the majority of professional Access developers (those that make their living at it) would agree that data integrity rules should be enforced by the database engine wherever that is possible.

The fact is that Access is a tool predominantly for *users*, not developers, and Microsoft appears determined with each subsequent version to make that more the case. The majority of changes make it easier to do things incorrectly because that makes the program easier to use for people who have no idea what they are doing. Since that group vastly outnumbers the other one can hardly argue with their logic from a business standpoint.

Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...
RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com