Re: Booking system for short-break apartments?

From: David Cressey <cressey73_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 14:02:35 GMT

<bissatch_at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:b4c696cd-a0ec-4738-843e-4bd83bda0782_at_n20g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I am reseaching into the best method for implementing a booking system
> data structure. My booking system in full will be used to store
> details on landlords apartments .. this part isnt too big an issue for
> me as I can have a table called 'landlord' and a table called
> 'property' which will both tie up with one another (one property will
> have one landlord, one landlord may have many properties). The part Im
> unsure about is where customers will choose an apartment to stay for a
> few nights and what the best way to go about this is. My idea is:
>
> booking - this table will contain a single booking entity such as
> customer name, contact details, date_booked, additional_notes (ie.
> pick up keys at 2pm) .. but will not contain dates, nights. It will
> contain a foriegn key column which will tie it up with the property (1
> property may have many booking entries, each booking will only even
> have of one property).
>
> booking_night - this table will contain nights booked and each row
> will be one night. It will contain a foriegn key column called
> booking_id which will tie up with the booking table primary key. One
> booking entry may contain 1...* booking_table rows dependant on the
> number of nights booked for that customer (4 rows = 4 nights).
>
> Now I think this is the best way to go about it but would really
> appreciate some advice if possible. One of the main challenges will be
> implementing the availability calendar (well, only coz Ive never done
> one before) so this is why i want individual entries for the nights so
> the days of the month would check if they have a entry in
> booking_night for that property. I am hopefully that this will host
> many many apartments so if I can adopt the most efficient method of
> storing data for performance then Im off to a good start. Cheers
>
> Burnsy

Check out this website: http://www.databaseanswers.org/

There are hundreds of data models out there. You might want to look at one that's about hotel reservations, since your problem sounds a little like that problem, even though your properties are not hotel rooms.

You may need to adapt one of the models you get there, but you you'll get a fairly close approximation.

An alternative would be to learn how to model data, and how to design a database. That's a lot of work, if you are only going to design one database in your life. Received on Sun Jan 27 2008 - 15:02:35 CET

Original text of this message