Re: Useful Unicode

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 04:37:48 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 25, 3:16 am, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> JOG wrote:

> >>How do you explain the plethora of competing web and communication
> >>standards?
>
> > How do you explain the uptake of XML?
>
> Ignorance and wishful thinking. The same thing that explains the uptake
> of any sort of snake oil.

But yet the one thing of substance about XML is that (sadly) it now proliferates, and has become sort of data interchange standard. Its not necessarily a case of good or bad standards, its just the process of standardizing at all. I wonder if SQL's domination might be viewed along the same lines, but I am in the dark as to what languages were competing at the time of its adoption?

> >>Ditto the various rail gauges and domestic line voltages?

> >>Why do you think monopoly is required?
>
> > Hmmm, I said if there is a Monopoly, standardization is tougher to
> > arrive at.
>
> Monopoly is de facto standard. When there is only one to choose from, we
> might as well call it a universal standard.
>
> Your asking me why if it is tough to Standardize, a
>
> > monopoly must therefore be required? I have claimed such thing....have
> > I caught you "affirming the consequent" bob?
>
> I didn't find what you wrote very coherent. You seemed to say markets
> cause standardization rather than competition. You seemed to say
> monopolies interfere with standardization. If that is not what you meant
> to say, I apologize.
>
> In retrospect, I should have cited Date's _Principle of Incoherence_.

I think all I was trying to say , is that agreement of standards increases the size of a market, however if there already exists a dominant player in that market, then they have incentive to disrupt standardization in order to protect their own position. Hari Seldon I ain't however.