Re: Separate PK in Jxn Tbl?

From: Brian Selzer <>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 02:03:49 -0500

"Tony Toews [MVP]" <> wrote in message
> "Brian Selzer" <> wrote:
>>Only an idiot would have a rule for no particularly good reason. Only an
>>imbecile would follow such a rule. A strong argument can be made for
>>autonumber primary keys--especially if the target DBMS doesn't support FOR
>>EACH ROW triggers--but to just blythely add them for no particularly good
>>reason is a recipe for disaster.
> My reasons are, in my opinion, good reasons. Not great but good. You
> don't like
> them? Tough.

So now they're good reasons? In your earlier post, you said they weren't good reasons. Can't you make up your mind? You also haven't stated your reasons. How can I like them or not like them? I don't know them!

>>A clear understanding of how and when they
>>can be used and why is critical or you run the risk of a corrupt database.
> Umm, not that you care I'm sure but my web pages on Microsoft Access
> corruptions
> are the definitive
> resource on the
> web. And there have never been any Access corruptions during to
> autonumber primary
> keys that I can recall. And I've likely read just about every posting on
> that topic
> in the last eight or ten years in the and the
> microsoft.public.access.* newsgroups.

I was not speaking of corruption due to disk failures; I was instead referring to permitting garbage into the database due to the misuse of auto-number primary keys.

> However my knowledge is practical not theoretical.

I gained most of my knowledge the hard way as well, but that doesn't mean that one shouldn't seek to understand and apply the theory.