Re: how to suppress carefully a recursive tree

From: fj <francois.jacq_at_irsn.fr>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 23:10:15 -0800 (PST)

On 23 jan, 01:12, David BL <davi..._at_iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On Jan 23, 1:10 am, fj <francois.j..._at_irsn.fr> wrote:

> > > I'm guessing that when you say "suppress" you mean "represent in a
> > > database". Correct?
>
> > No : I want to destroy, remove, kill ... a part of the data (a
> > complete tree or just a branch), but without destroying data shared by
> > other trees or branches.
>
> Would the mark and sweep algorithm suit you purposes?

No

the mark and sweep algorithm needs to know all the tree roots in order to mark all the used objects.

In my example I indicates that the node b3 belongs to the root r2 just for information to explain the storage count. But the deletion routine I want to write just receives "r1" as argument, nothing else. It does not know that r2 exists too ... It is just able to detect the existence of other objects via the storage count of b3 which is a little bit too high for being just referenced by r1 ! Received on Wed Jan 23 2008 - 08:10:15 CET

Original text of this message