Re: what are keys and surrogates?

From: Keith H Duggar <duggar_at_alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 09:18:03 -0800 (PST)

Jan Hidders wrote:
> Keith H Duggar wrote:
> > David BL wrote:

> > > They are formalisms; all are valid.

> > > Agreed.

> > > Agreed.
>
> > > I should have make the implicit assumptions in my original statement
> > > explicit, so it would be...
>
> > > "If we assume F2, R1 then it is more precise
> > > to say that the graph of a function is a relation".
>
> > Why not simply
>
> > "Or If we assume F2 and R1 then the
> > graph of a function is a relation." ?
>
> > Why would you still want to qualify it as "more precise"?
> > By doing so you would continue to maintain a precise-boy
> > facade ie one who claims their language is "more precise"
> > solely to demonstrate "knowledge" and "correct" others.
>
> So you actually agree with him, but you don't like the way he said it?

Perhaps you should read the origin of this sub-thread again. No, Jan, I do not agree with his /originating/ statement

  "it [is] more precise to say that the
   graph of a function is a relation".

I thought that should be crystal clear at this point so I am unable to understand your confusion on this point. It should also be clear that "more precise" is key to my disagreement. Furthermore, it should be obvious, based on his exact words, that David would still claim it to be "more precise" were he to make the claim today. And, no, "more precise" is not part of "the way he said it" it is material to his claim.

> You think he sounded arrogant?

No, not even close. I think DBL sounded ignorant and foolish as one who has only a superficial grasp of the concepts they wrongly believe they have mastered. I would have thought you could have deduced that from the quote Mark Twain I included in my original reply.

> Is that really why you are getting so worked up about this?

You and David have both classified my posts as "aggressive" and now you classify me as "worked up". That fascinates me.

I would not have classified someone who responds at their leisure (up to two days) as "worked up". I would not have classified someone who responds to David elsewhere thusly

Keith H Duggar wrote:
> David BL wrote:
> > Keith H Duggar wrote:
> > > There was once another poster that trolled around always
> > > discussing how she felt about this or that post or this
> > > or that poster.
> > Depending on how one reads that, it could be seen as
> > implying Reinier is trolling. Was that your intention?
>
> No, that was not my intention. I should have been more
> precise.
>
> > IMO he is not.
>
> I agree. I do not believe rpost is trolling. Thanks
> for pointing out this ambiguous language.

as "aggressive". I would not classify succinct, clear, and logical arguments as aggressive. I would not even classify core-aimed psychological barbs such as "precise-boy" (that still makes me chuckle) as aggressive anymore than some of the previous barbs I've invented such as "wikipeducation". I would not classify someone playfully aligning paragraphs to certain fixed width columns as "worked up".

No. If anything I would have classified myself as cold and calculating and my posts re DBL as inexorable pursuance.

> Could be. That's not the impression that I had.

As I wrote above neither did I.

> Remember that it is very easy on usenet to read more into
> words than what was actually intended.

I agree. I believe you and David have read certain emotion into my posts and motivations into me that are absent.

KHD.F6 Received on Sun Jan 20 2008 - 18:18:03 CET

Original text of this message