Re: what are keys and surrogates?

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 05:12:56 -0800 (PST)

On 19 jan, 19:14, Keith H Duggar <dug..._at_alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> David BL wrote:
> > Jan Hidders wrote:

> > They are formalisms; all are valid.

> > > Before I answer that let me first agree that your simplified picture
> > > is correct. But as far as I understand him I don't think that David
> > > actually disagrees with that picture.
>
> > Agreed.
>
> > > Do I think that the "a function is a relation" definition is both more
> > > common? Yes, I do. Do I think that it is more precise? The statement
> > > "the graph of a function is a relation" has the benefit of being true
> > > for several definitions of the notion of function. As such it might be
> > > preferable in the context of the c.d.t glossary where it is important
> > > to make clear what the different definitions are. Of course it is not
> > > really a definition but just the description of a certain property and
> > > in that sense less precise. But also here, I doubt that David would
> > > actually disagree with that.
>
> > Agreed.
>
> > I should have make the implicit assumptions in my original statement
> > explicit, so it would be...
>
> >      "If we assume F2, R1 then it is more precise
> >       to say that the graph of a function is a relation".
>
> Why not simply
>
>   "Or If we assume F2 and R1 then the
>    graph of a function is a relation." ?
>
> Why would you still want to qualify it as "more precise"?
> By doing so you would continue to maintain a precise-boy
> facade ie one who claims their language is "more precise"
> solely to demonstrate "knowledge" and "correct" others.

So you actually agree with him, but you don't like the way he said it? You think he sounded arrogant? Is that really why you are getting so worked up about this? Could be. That's not the impression that I had. Remember that it is very easy on usenet to read more into words than what was actually intended.

  • Jan Hidders