Re: Function

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 15:25:41 +0100

Jan Hidders wrote:
[snip]

>> (cdt glossary:)
>>
>>  > [Function]

>>  > Math
>>  > A binary mathematical relation with at most
>>  > one b for each a in (a,b).

> This "at most one b for each a in (a,b)" makes me cringe!

Irritation about the status quo is a starting point to many improvements. I am sure the "Software" subentry (you snipped it) makes functional programming adepts curl their toes as well - I'll keep it until somebody provides a better text.

> Moreover, it
> seems to describe partial functions, which is not what is usually
> understood under "function". I would make that:
>
> "A binary mathematical relation over two sets D and C that associates
> with each element in D exactly one element in C."

I like it.
I'll post a proposal for replacement in my answer to Vladimir. To the native english speakers: is 'that' correct in Jan's sentence?

> You might even add something about calling D and C domain and codomain
> respectively, although that might open up a whole new can of worms.

We could go fishing - we need some bait. I'll add some politically correct lyrics.

> Of course, I'm still convinced that the c.d.t. glossary is a waste of
> time, but there you go. ;-)

Doesn't my appreciation count for anything? ;-)

Thank you for contributing :-)

--
What you see depends on where you stand.