Re: what are keys and surrogates?

From: David BL <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 17:23:25 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 15, 9:08 am, Jan Hidders <hidd..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14 jan, 03:22, David BL <davi..._at_iinet.net.au> wrote:

> > > [snip]

> > > [snip]
>
> > > Quoted from there:
> > > "In mathematics, the graph of a function f is the collection of
> > > all ordered pairs (x,f(x)). In particular, graph means the
> > > graphical representation of this collection, in the form
> > > of a curve or surface, together with axes, etc."
>
> > > ISTM this is what I use the word 'plot' for.
>
> > > Also from that page (at the start):
> > > "For another use of the term "graph" in mathematics,
> > > see graph theory".
>
> > > In dutch 'grafiek' is a 'plot' (or 'chart'), and
> > > 'graph' (another word) is a 'collection of edges and nodes'
> > > - maybe it boils down to a homonym problem in english?
>
> > I was exposed to the formal notion of a graph of a function in
> > university when I studied functional analysis. Check out the closed
> > graph theorem
>
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_graph_theorem
>
> > This is expressed on Banach spaces and has little to do with any
> > visualisation.

> > > ?
>
> > > How does having a domain and a codomain stops a function from being a
> > > kind of relation ? (David Cressey asked a similar question).
>
> > Given the graph of a function you can determine its domain and range
> > (also called image) but not its codomain. Therefore a formal
> > definition of a function tends to use the triple (D,C,G) where D is
> > the domain, C is the codomain and G is the graph of the function.
>
> > ISTM most authors only define a mathematical relation as a set of
> > tuples (which can be compared to G).
>
> In my experience as somebody who works in a Comp. science and
> Mathematics department the mathematicians that prefer the (D,C,G)
> definition of a function, also prefer the definition of relation that
> makes the domains explicit, and so define a binary relation as a
> triple (D_1,D_2,G). In that case a function is actually again a
> special case of a relation. But this is all by no means
> uncontroversial. If you look at the entry for mathematical relation in
> Wikipedia you will see that there have been edit wars over this, and
> even one resulting in a ban.

LOL. I agree that in a "single work" one should be consistent one way or the other so that a function is indeed a relation.

It doesn't surprise me that there is controversy over the (D1,D2,G) definition of a relation because it seems unconventional (having many a time seen a relation defined as simply a set of tuples).

In the book "Discrete Mathematical Structures With Applications to Computer Science" Tremblay defines binary relations and functions as sets of ordered pairs, states that a function is a relation, but then subsequently makes use of the codomain on a function. His notation is simple, but is it reasonable? Received on Tue Jan 15 2008 - 02:23:25 CET

Original text of this message