Re: cdt glossary [Graph] (was: what are keys and surrogates?)

From: Marshall <>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 10:17:29 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 11, 5:17 am, JOG <> wrote:

> A function is definitely a type of relation (albeit a binary one). A
> function is defined as (D, C, G) where G is a subset of the cartesian
> product of DxC, just like all binary relations. However a function is
> restricted such that a member of D may only appear as the first
> element of a single ordered pair in G. I have never personally seen
> any disagreement or confusion over these definitions in mathematics.

Pardon me for saying so, but even a short amount of time spent reading sci.math will be enough to convince one that disagreement and confusion are possible over pretty much anything in math.

(However Jim probably runs with a classier set of people than the worst of sci.math, boy howdy.)

Marshall Received on Fri Jan 11 2008 - 19:17:29 CET

Original text of this message