Re: what are keys and surrogates?

From: Marshall <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:25:52 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 10, 7:07 am, Bob Badour <> wrote:
> Marshall wrote:
> >>Is "constructor" the same as what C. Date calls a "selector"?
> > Yes. Date calls it a selector, and the entire rest of the world
> > calls it a constructor. :-)
> Except "selector" has no concept of physically building anything in storage.

Okay. Just specifying a value, or a kind of value, yes? That's more or less what I understand the most general definition of the word "constructor" to mean. The OOP world uses it a bit more specifically.

> > I have no strong feelings about encapsulated ADTs; what
> > Date calls ... uh. Shit. I can't remember what he calls them.
> > I don't entirely see the reason for them. Performance I guess?
> Types? Possible representations? Type generators? Only the first is an
> ADT, but I am curious whether you meant one of the others.

Possreps! That's the one!

Marshall Received on Thu Jan 10 2008 - 18:25:52 CET

Original text of this message