Re: what are keys and surrogates?

From: Marshall <>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 13:45:01 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 4, 1:37 pm, (rpost) wrote:
> JOG wrote:
> [buncha stuff]

I'm jumping in rather late in the discussion, but I want to say that I'm not at all sure that the two of you are using words in the same way. In particular, I don't think "hidden" means the same thing when Reinier uses it as when Jim uses it. (And I think there may be other problematic terms as well.)

In general, I find Reinier's terminology to be unfamiliar, although the concepts he's describing aren't.

Just for emphasis, I'll say that unless two people are using the same definition for a word, their conversation will be largely meaningless, and probably quite frustrating to boot.

I would recommend separating out the idea of a datatype that supports only construction and equality from other ideas such as keys. I would also recommend being quite explicit about definitions.

PMFJI, as they say.

Marshall Received on Sat Jan 05 2008 - 22:45:01 CET

Original text of this message