Re: what are keys and surrogates?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 10:16:23 -0400

David Cressey wrote:

> "rpost" <rpost_at_pcwin518.campus.tue.nl> wrote in message
>
> [snip]
>

>>Yes, when you confuse hidden attributes with published, assignable ones,
>>as you stubbornly insist on doing, things will break horribly.

> And the things that will break horribly are not the things inside the
> database. They are the things inside the minds of the users of the data.

David,

He doesn't even make sense. Suppose an order line item gets inserted into the wrong order. Are we to believe nobody can correct this by assigning the surrogate for a different order to the line item?

If not, the feature strikes me as useless in the first place. If so, he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. Received on Sat Jan 05 2008 - 15:16:23 CET

Original text of this message