Re: Something new for the New Year (2008).

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 17:01:23 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 1, 10:45 pm, Rob <rmpsf..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> If you have a chance, please take a look on my website at this page:
>
> http://www.sfdbs.com/toplevel/fasttrack/fasttrack.shtml
>
> You will see a completely new way to use foreign keys
> to represent relationships in relational databases.
>
> Working with this new representation has forever changed the way I
> look
> at and think about relational databases.
>
> Rob

Well, I gave it a good effort but when I got to: "Compare this to PKFK: Where allowed, an orphan is represented by a NULL Child_Parent_fk foreign key value. Childless parents are always allowed and are represented implicitly by the absence of reference in Child_Parent_fk among all Child tuples" I was fighting the urge to jump ship.

Tuples in databases represent facts stated in the real world (they are not entities or objects), and yet here you are adding link tables, pointers, agregate tables, orphans, etc. And yet I don't see anything added that a well designed schema wouldn't achieve. Imho, I hope you didn't spend too much on patents. Received on Wed Jan 02 2008 - 02:01:23 CET

Original text of this message