From: Marshall <>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 09:56:08 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 27, 2:37 am, "Roy Hann" <specia..._at_processed.almost.meat> wrote:
> (There seems to be an intuitive desire
> to minimize the number of tables in a database. I don't know whether that's
> a psychological thing or whether it is something to do with reducing the
> amount of code that needs to be written.)

I have observed this as well.

I've seen the same thing in OOP land. As a former regular of, I can attest that it was pretty common to see an exchange where someone posed a problem, someone else came up with a lovely solution in the form of a new class, and the OP rejected the solution because it created a new class.

I suppose the desire is to minimize the number of distinct abstractions,
however any single-metric approach to code quality is going to suck.

Still, it can be kind of funny when you think of it. Hey, I'm using SQL and I need to solve this problem. Why not try xxx? Oh no, even though I'm using SQL I don't want to solve this problem with a *table.* Ha ha.

Marshall Received on Thu Dec 27 2007 - 18:56:08 CET

Original text of this message