Re: A newbie paradox: is this a PK-FK (relationship) problem, or programming problem?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 18:37:47 -0400

Douglas J. Steele wrote:

> I don't see you making any suggestions. Surely you don't think that one
> table per brokerage could ever be an appropriate answer!

Douglas,

David Portas already covered everything quite well, and I didn't have much to add to his post.

Ray,

I suggest you learn to identify those people who Fabian Pascal has dubbed the Vociferous Ignorami. Some of them have obligingly self-identified by declaring themselves "Most Vociferous People" (MVP). While not all of the self-aggrandizing ignorants so self-identify, the designation is a reliable indicator for those who do.

If you think about things for even a millisecond, you will recognize the importance and substance of the absurdity of lengthy and detailed design on the basis of complete ignorance. I think you will find the replies to the observation lack substance entirely. I will leave it for you to judge.

As for your original problem, your declared constraints do not match your conceptual model of how the system should behave. That is a clear sign that one or both are wrong.

I reiterate David's suggestion to learn the theory so you can understand and evaluate these things for yourself. I also draw your attention to David's predictions regarding guesswork. Received on Sat Dec 22 2007 - 23:37:47 CET

Original text of this message