Re: Newbie question about db normalization theory: redundant keys OK?

From: -CELKO- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 12:30:04 -0800 (PST)

>> If teachers are permitted to change their names, then names are not appropriate keys for teachers. <<

Agreed; this was a skeleton table to demonstrate to the OP that tables can have redundant or even overlapping keys to preserve data integrity. Tony just gets easily side tracked and I am afraid I tend to fall for it myself. Sorry for the thread drift ..

Instead of a teacher's name, we can tattoo a permanent bar code on the foreheads of the faculty, using their tax identification number :) Received on Fri Dec 14 2007 - 21:30:04 CET

Original text of this message