Re: Newbie question about db normalization theory: redundant keys OK?

From: David Portas <>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 06:59:40 -0800 (PST)

On 14 Dec, 12:16, "Tony Rogerson" <> wrote:
> > I'll remember this. It is a great example of why no one should bother
> > reading your blog.
> Oh, I see Roy; you agree with Celko's design.
> Interesting....
> --
> Tony Rogerson, SQL Server MVP
> [Ramblings from the field from a SQL consultant]
> [UK SQL User Community]

You didn't specify any reason why you thought Joe's design was wrong. There is no obvious reason for confusion just because a teacher's name changes - at least not as far as the data model is concerned. Users of the data need a way to identify their teacher but how would an "artificial key" help? I never knew any of my teachers as 1234.

David Portas