Re: What is analysis?

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_ooyah.ac>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 18:55:54 GMT

rpost wrote:
> paul c wrote:
>
> [...]
>

>>> Thanks for the above  I'm going to try to incorporate "relvar" into my
>>> vocabulary,  at the expense of misusing it several times in public. [...]
>> Date gives a rationale for the term at:
>>
>> http://www.dcs.warwick.ac.uk/~hugh/TTM/relvars.pdf

> I like the "relvar" entry in Wikipedia. Short, but sweet.

Maybe too short, eg., it says a relvar contains a relation - what about, say, a view expression, does the relvar "contain" a relation or an expression? Wouldn't it be clearer to just say the relvar refers or points to a relation?

Also, it says "in relational databases". If a db is read-only, is it not possible to avoid relvars and simply store named relations?

(That entry also refers to the Wikipedia.org definition of relation as a set of tuples, which seems partial to me.)

I know I'm being repetitive, but I still think relvars are a way to accommodate languages that manipulate db's and are not an essential part of the RM, whereas the entry implies they are essential. Received on Thu Dec 06 2007 - 19:55:54 CET

Original text of this message