Re: What is analysis?

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_ooyah.ac>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 21:23:18 GMT

TroyK wrote:
> On Dec 5, 12:28 pm, "David Cressey" <cresse..._at_verizon.net> wrote:
>> "TroyK" <cs_tr..._at_juno.com> wrote in message ...

>>> I've used a "relations as first class programming citizens"
>>> programming model to very good effect for iterative application
>>> development.
>> Did you mean "relvars as first class programming citizens"?  Sorry to be so
>> picky, but I really am trying to come up to speed on the term "relvars".
>>

> Both relvars and relations, I suppose. It would be analogous to
> saying "objects are first class programming citizens" when one
> might really mean "classes". In other words, I'm speaking rather
> loosely which probably isn't helping you to understand the
> relvar/relation distinction at all.

Relvars are essentially a programming device for mimicking assignment, although it's no stretch to imagine a methodology using their names for some purpose, eg., place-holders. As far as I know, they might not always be needed depending on the programming language, say a functional one, I have little experience with those even though I think some of their motives are promising. Received on Wed Dec 05 2007 - 22:23:18 CET

Original text of this message