Re: One-To-One Relationships

From: Jon Heggland <jon.heggland_at_ntnu.no>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 20:07:31 +0100

Quoth rpost:
> JOG wrote:

>> and I fear entity-
>> relationship thought as an end to itself can get one stuck in one
>> brittle viewpoint (this is the same concern I have with XML).

> My only point is that relational modelling is not inherently neutral,
> and has its own source of brittleness (the need to pick keys).

I'll just barge in and say that "the need to pick keys" is not just in order to be able to refer. Key constraints are very important for integrity. I'd want to have key constraints even if I were to use the magic of E/R for identity and referral. And the ability to use keys for this if it is appropriate is a strength, not a weakness.

--
Jon