Re: Help with Ms-Access

From: Jeffrey Davis <jpm1121_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 16:07:36 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 3, 10:51 am, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Jeffrey Davis wrote:
> > I'm hoping that someone here can give me some assistance with a
> > database I'm trying to set up. My skills in Access are fairly basic,
> > and I'm trying to skill up, but some of the stuff is a little opaque.
>
> > I'm trying to put some data I've got on paper into Access. Recently, I
> > got together with some other people marketing organic produce and
> > offered to do some marketing for us on a coop basis in the city.
>
> > The idea I had was to have four marketing packages for coop members
> > with different rates and services. For want of something better lets
> > call them P1, P2, P3 & P4
>
> > I'm thinking I'll need a table with the packages, and one listing the
> > coop members with their details. In theory, a coop member might
> > acquire another farm (either a new one or one from someone bailing
> > out) and put it on a separate package.
>
> > Which tables would have to have a relationship?
>
> > I'm thinking the packages table containing the dat about each package
> > would have to be related via a common field to the coop member table,
> > and there would probably have to be a link between that and the farm
> > table, through common fields -- maybe a unique ID in the coop member
> > table could appear in the farm table and maybe the primary key from
> > the package table could also appear in the farm table as a foreign
> > key. But am I right?
>
> > I'd also like to create a form that would list an individual coop
> > member's details plus any packages they own and assume that all I'd
> > need to do would be to ensure that there was a specified report for
> > the form to call. Is that right? Is 'switchboard manager' the way to
> > go here?
>
> > I'd also like to create a macro to automatically open the database.
> > I've had a bit of a look through Access and maybe I've missed it, but
> > could someone point me in the right direction?
>
> > Thanks in advance ...
>
> > JD
>
> Hi Jeffrey,
>
> I think you may find people more willing to give answers at
> comp.databases.ms-access especially with respect to macros and user
> interfaces.
>
> I am not sure what the distinction is between coop member and farm. I
> have no idea what you mean by 'switchboard manager'.

It's a kind of automated form in access that carries command buttons that open/run specified database objects.

> Questions you need to answer for your design are:
>
> How many packages can a farm have?

only 1

> How many packages can a coop member have?

in theory, unlimited, although only one per farm

> How many farms can a coop member have?

in theory, unlimited

> How many coop members can a farm have?

just one

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll repost there.

JD Received on Mon Dec 03 2007 - 01:07:36 CET

Original text of this message