Re: One-To-One Relationships

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 09:21:09 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 1, 4:52 pm, rp..._at_pcwin518.campus.tue.nl (rpost) wrote:
> snip
> ER modelling allows me to assert the identifiability of a relationship
> *without* reference to identifying attributes.

This is a contradiction to your previous statement. A relationship can not be identifiable if it has no identity. Its an oxymoron.

> [...]
>
> >> This is the exact problem Chen identified. In the relational model
> >> it is impossible to have entity-valued attributes, which, in practice,
> >> we have a huge amount of.

No we do not. Entity's are only ever (ever!) referenced by their attributes, because they are merely conceptual tools. Feel free to give me an example from real life where they are not referenced by attributes, if you do not agree.

> >Entities are figments of our imaginations.
>
> Heh. So are relations, attributes, values, and domains.
> So are rectangles, straight lines, points, and angles.
> So are "real" numbers, functions, and differential equations.
> But they all work pretty well.
>
> We're dealing with conceptual modelling here.
> I prefer the term 'modelling constructs', if you don't mind.
>
> I agree with Chen (and e.g. OO design, which takes it to another extreme)
> that a notion of entity is natural, unproblematic and well worth having.

Unproblematic? The notion of an entity does not take into account / context/. Consider yourself as an entity. Are you the same person as you were when you were 5? What... yes and no? And you don't see that as a paradoxical to an encapsulated view of an object?

Other paradoxes generated:
The Paradox of Change
Chrysippus' Paradox
The paradox of 1001 cats
The Paradox of Constitution
The classic Ship of Theseus Paradox
Church's Paradox
etc....

Google them up ;) I mentioned the follpwing in a previous post but its worth cut and pasting. Imagine the library has two copies of "harry potter and the deathly hallows". Are they the same book entity?

  1. If your construct is the one that uses the barcode on the sleeve asan identifier, then no, different books.
  2. If your construct is the one that uses the ISBN number as an identifier, then yes, same book.

Entities can be the same and different... wuh? Your nice neat view of encapsulated entities is flawed. Context is essential, and identification of that context, by attributes, is vital.

Also given your standpoint perhaps you could explain to me why are binary relationship should be treated any differently from a ternary one, as expounded by E/R, and as a final comment, google this group for "query bias" for my view as to why an entity view, as well as being brittle, is deleterious to querying.

You might also want to read up on "The Great Debate" on why graph structures as exhibited by E/R were abandoned in place of a descriptive based approach.

Good luck. I followed the same path you are on now, and it took me a long time to shake the OO mindset :)