Re: One-To-One Relationships

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_ooyah.ac>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 20:35:32 GMT

David Cressey wrote:
> This whole division of discussion about the field into "camps" is degrading,
> in my view. I am not mmember of the "entity relational camp" or of the
> "relational camp" or of the "Codd camp" or the "Date camp" or the "Nelson
> Pick camp" or, God forbid of the "object oriented camp". But I find
> interesting ideas in all of the above points of view. I had an opportunity
> to exercise ideas from one POV more than others, but I never had to join a
> "camp".
>
> I'm not about to do that now.

Why should you? I've never understood why some words are so catalytic that they make people think they've been identified with some group they aren't in, don't want to be in or don't even want to acknowledge the "existence" of. I can't see why the suggestion that fatuous people exist who also happen to think they are interested in cdt might get under somebody's skin, let alone "camp". My only guess is that they bring various subconscious associations to the table, unasked, much as many ER, as well as RM, practitioners do. I didn't have warfare in mind, in fact I gave up camping years ago, too chilly and wet for me.

For some years, I made money off the back of RM without really knowing what I was talking about in the sense that I wasn't very careful to limit the vocabulary. At one time, I got paid to criticize (euphemism: "evaluate") schemas non-English speakers had made. My rather poor explanations for suggested changes usually involved "sentences" modified with words like "regular" which after they had been translated by a German or other listener often gave exactly the worst result. For some silly reason I started drawing cartoons to explain what I meant, too late I realized that formal terminology might have been better and in the meantime, worked midnights, made the changes myself then demo-ed them. I had one partner who was devout in believing that update is a fundamental albebra operator. He used to wave this away to customers as a road stop sign that can be painted a different colour but can't really change unless it is dug up. It was beyond me and I wasn't the only one.   Whenever he launched into that, I felt as if English wasn't my first language either. Received on Fri Nov 30 2007 - 21:35:32 CET

Original text of this message