Re: the two questions

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 08:25:16 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 30, 3:46 pm, "Brian Selzer" <br..._at_selzer-software.com> wrote:
> "JOG" <j..._at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote in message

> > On Nov 28, 1:07 pm, "Brian Selzer" <br..._at_selzer-software.com> wrote:
> >> "JOG" <j..._at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote in message

> >> There is a third option: continuous observation. If you never take eyes
> >> (or
> >> the camera) off of the individual, there is no need to reidentify it, and
> >> therefore no need for a constant identifier.
>
> > How would you know that the insect your looking at now is the same one
> > as a second ago? You've tracked its (x,y,z) position. You've just been
> > continually checking another of its identifiers! And then you describe
> > the butterfly to someone else (after all this is shared data we're
> > talking about), and you refer to it as the butterfly you've been
> > watching, or the one on camera 2. More identifiers! 'Brian's'
> > butterfly or 'Camera 1' butterfly. In fact surrogates for the
> > butterfly's locational path!
>
> Yet the (x,y,z) position may have changed from a second ago. Clearly it is
> possible for all observable identifiers for an individual to change from one
> point in time to another. What is different in this case is that since it
> is being watched, both the old (x,y,z) and the new (x,y,z) positions are
> known, and the comparison can be made.

What do you think you are watching exactly? New and old (x,y,z) positions form a path, and that is what you are recording. I believe you are not correctly viewing the 'insect entity' as a thing that exists over a whole time period (t1 to t6 for example). The fact that I am currently at t3 is irrelevant. The path is still an attribute of the entity under consideration across its lifetime. The fact that I can't observe it (being temporally placed myself) is also irrelevant, because I just replace it by a surrogate (thats what surrogate means after all - "in place of"). I believe this is the same issue you had with workers who change their surname.

While we probably end up at the same conclusions of using a surrogate, I /think/ you are confusing the scope of the entity's you are considering. Say that t1 is the birth of the caterpillar, and t3 is when it becomes a butterfly. Then I am certainly not contradicting myself by saying:

butterfly entity != caterpillar entity
insect entity at t1 = insect entity at t3

similarly:
brian now != brian aged 5
person entity in 1970 = person entity in 2007

Its all relative identity. Regards, J.