Re: the two questions

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 15:49:05 GMT

"JOG" <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote in message news:64389199-45c3-4c6d-99e6-1c6a89736d72_at_j44g2000hsj.googlegroups.com...

> On Nov 26, 2:38 am, "Brian Selzer" <br..._at_selzer-software.com> wrote:

>> "JOG" <j..._at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote in message

>> > Oh lets not do the dance all over again brian. Its got the same
>> > gene's, whatever. Something has to be consistent for them to be the
>> > same thing. Even if it just ends up being the fact that they share the
>> > same path of x,y locations over time (I'd use a surrogate for that one
>> > hey, otherwise it be a hell of a long attribute), there has to be
>> > something.
>>
>> > There just is no great big invisible pointing hand amigo.
>>
>> From a given database value D, you can arrive at a new database value D'
>> in
>> one of two ways: (1) by simply stating D', or (2) by stating how D must
>> be
>> transformed to produce D'. Either way, you still arrive at the same
>> answer,
>> D', but there can be a great many possible transformations from D to D'.
>> Identifying which transformation is actually occurring makes it possible
>> track an individual across database transitions: this is--in effect--the
>> great big invisible pointing hand!
>

> I'm sure your a lovely chap brian, but I just don't seem to be able to
> keep things on track with you... you asked me about a caterpillar -
> butterfly. I told you that they still have to have some characteristic
> that is observably consistent to recognize they are the same thing,
> and now your talking about database values. Lets get the conceptual
> level cleared up first hey before we dive into the logical one!
>
> Look, ride with me on this - are we agreed in /the real world/ there
> is no big invisible pointing hand? I'm sort of envisioning one of
> those big foam things that fans wear at baseball matches now ;) In
> other words, are we agreed that the caterpillar and butterfly have to
> share some attribute to be viewed as two snapshots of the same entity
> (in order to identify that entity as one consistent thing). Forget
> database encodings, I'm just talking about in the real world.

Each individual that existed, exists, or can exist has a property that distinguishes it from all other individuals that existed, exist or can exist; so, yes, there is a property that the caterpillar and butterfly share. The problem is: I don't think haecceity can be observed directly. If one were able to examine the history of the butterfly, one should be able to determine that it coincides with the history of the caterpillar--up to the point of the initial snapshot. The problem is: I don't think history can appear in a snapshot.

>> > If it helps, why don't you view your butterfly/caterpillar as a little
>> > "insect life" entity. Identify that. Then you might start to see that
>> > T1-T6 are just different snapshots of it. But for any snapshot, to
>> > recognize it as our "insect life" entity, we need that identifier.
>>
>> Not if T1-T6 are not just snapshots but also successive snapshots. If
>> the
>> identification at T1 is known, and the assertions that yield the values
>> at
>> T2, T3, T4, T5 and T6 are known, then the identification at any snapshot
>> can
>> be derived from the available information.

> Received on Tue Nov 27 2007 - 16:49:05 CET

Original text of this message